[ExI] LA Times: Misreading the mind

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:12:16 UTC 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 11:41 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> Looks as if you missed the signal in Lee's artfully sardonic post,
> which means you missed the meaning as well.

I got it.  It seems to be the nature of list-based discussion that
every reply is assumed first to be a counterpoint or argument.  I
don't really understand why this phenomenon evolved this way.  I
usually don't spend the time/effort to disagree with people via
mailing lists.  Before I get responses telling me that it's all in
good fun, etc.; I understand that is enjoyable for some.  Maybe the
alpha-dominant posture ritual translates to email?  I'm just
speculating.

disclaimer (in case my sardonic reply was not artful enough):  This
message is an observation about a general trend I have noticed.  It is
not intended as a commentary on any particular thread or list member
behavior.  My observation is subjective.  ymmv