[ExI] wealth and health (was: Re: Transhumanism and Politics)

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 25 05:18:30 UTC 2008

> Damien Broderick
> Subject: [ExI] wealth and health (was: Re: Transhumanism and Politics)
>
> At 07:01 PM 1/24/2008 -0800, Spike wrote:
>
> >...If the US
> >government ever offers universal free health care, there
> will be a wave
> >of retirements that will crush the system.
>
> What is it in particular about the US that would provoke this
> terrible crushing from work-shyness, when nations like
> Australia, Canada and the UK already have universal health
> care paid from taxes, and have had for generations, without
> their societies going belly up?... Damien Broderick

I think it has to do with the transition between providing one's own health
insurance and having it provided at taxpayer expense.  If the rules suddenly
changed, there would be a resulting cataclysmic shift.

Currently the cost of health insurance is the one thing that is a wildcard.
It gets more expensive all the time.  Many of us middle aged wage slaves can
see how it would break us, when nothing else on the needs list threatens to
do so.