[ExI] John C. Wright Interview

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Jan 26 02:57:04 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 6:15 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 04:39 PM 1/25/2008 -0800, Jef wrote:
>
> >I rather enjoy the last several lines.
>
> Yes, Molly Bloom's rapturous closing lines that complete ULYSSES are
> about as justly famous as anything in 20th century literature.
>
> John Wright is a very smart guy, and a powerful writer in his own
> modes (his forthcoming sequel to van Vogt's NULL-A novels is
> astonishing), so I'm surprised by his vehement opposition to Joyce's
> complex novel, and his silly "nyah nyah you're all just pretending to
> like it". But I was even more astonished by his retreat from atheism
> in favor of the vulgarity of Christian "Science" (at least it wasn't
> Scientology, which captured poor van Vogt for years); he is a man
> with his own rather distinctive canon of values.

I wonder whether the apparently over-the-edge moral indignation he
demonstrates (since his near death experience) might be symptomatic of
physiological changes in his brain "setting up reverberations" fed by
his training in, and love of, the classics.  Stathis might have the
practical background to comment on this.

I'm not qualified to assess such hypothetical conditions, but my
observations and interaction with him remind me of a few people I know
who seem to get similarly stuck, reinforced by (externally unfounded)
feelings of excitement, importance, etc.

That said, I have a great deal of respect and appreciation for the man
and his work.

- Jef

- Jef