[ExI] Transhumanism and Politics

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sat Jan 26 19:02:18 UTC 2008

I wrote:
>> Umm. When the stocks plummet, the money disappears. Some investors
>> get their money out, but only at the cost of others buying their
>> stocks (at full or partial rates) and either the investor just
>> before the announcement or the remaining investor after actually
>> lost money that didn't reappear anywhere else...

Spike replied:
> Well sure Chris, this is a common modern view but it almost makes
> investing in stocks sound like a zero sum game.

Au contraire!  If the value vanishes into thin air on the way down, the
value on the way up is created from new ideas rather than from
pre-existing resources.  Stocks go up much more often than they go down.
  The total value of the market today dwarfs its past value, and will
continue to do so even if we have a 20% downturn.

I omit the rest of Spike's message because it's preaching to the choir.
  He described a little of the mechanism.  I just didn't want anyone to
think I disagreed.  I was responding to someone's claim that when the
value of stocks goes down due to regulatory intervention that the money
goes elsewhere.  That money is gone.  Future investments will focus on
projects with a higher likelihood of profit, so the value that's
destroyed also drives away investment in that area.

Chris
--
Change is not linear. Our expectations are linear, but new
technologies come in "S" curves, so we routinely overestimate

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org