[ExI] Transhumanism and Politics

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jan 27 06:52:00 UTC 2008

> [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK
>
> Until the US finds a way to better deliver their excellent
> medical services to *everyone* in the US, then their overall
> health metrics will continue to lag behind the rest of the world. BillK

BillK we are facing a huge medical problem that is getting worse every day.
The latino population is known to be particularly susceptible to the high
fat diet that is so popular in the states, and the resulting diabetes.  That
population is growing quickly, both from high birth rates and from illegal
immigration from Central and South America.  Diabetes is an example of a
disease which costs a ton of money to keep under control, and even then the
sufferer has crummy health and a lot of related problems.  I can easily
imagine a time in the near future when average life expectancy in the US
starts dropping because of diabetes within the growing Latino community,
regardless of how much money we dump into treating it.