[ExI] Joyce

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sun Jan 27 22:19:30 UTC 2008

John Clark
>> >PS: I understand Joyce doesn't like punctuation

Damien Broderick:
> You understand wrong. When he wrote in an attempt to convey the flow
> of thoughts and half-thoughts running under the level of sharp
> conscious awareness, he did that. The rest of the time, not.

E. E. Cummings is similarly misunderstood.  Since he occasionally broke
the standard usages, people assumed he was protesting against the rules.
  Instead, he was playfully abusing them, and as far as I can tell,
always to a point.  It takes more work as a reader than blank verse, but
there's more meaning in the typography than you usually find.  And it
was a small percentage of his poetry.

Chris
--
In Just-spring when the world is mudluscious
   -- E. E. Cummings

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org