[ExI] Large Hadron Collider

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 10:24:33 UTC 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 12:10 AM, Rick Strongitharm wrote:
> The Large Hadron Collider is scheduled to begin operation in a few months.
> Questions:
> 1.  Is it possible that we will have answers to the big questions, the
> existence of the Higgs Boson, etc., by the end of this year?
> 2.  What other experiments are in the works?
> 3.  What will the LHC be doing 5 years from now? 10 years from now?

CERN say startup is due this summer.

Wikipedia has an interesting article:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider>

CERN has a review at:
<http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/LHC/WhyLHC-en.html>
What is mass? (How does gravity fit in to the Standard Model?)
What is 96% of the universe made of? (dark matter & dark energy)
Why is there no more antimatter?
What was matter like within the first second of the Universe's life?
Do extra dimensions of space really exist?

<http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/cms/?pid=1000356>
In its first phase of operation the LHC is set to illuminate a vast
new terrain of physics for exploration, and set a course for the
future. What new facilities the future will bring remains to be seen,
but the LHC will operate for at least a decade at the forefront of
science. Beyond that, the LHC could itself become part of the future
landscape, through upgrades to more collisions or higher energy.

BillK