[ExI] Vienna (Wien) - CR9 Conference on "Being Syncretic"

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat Jul 5 15:41:33 UTC 2008

>Consciousness Reframed
>Vienna, 3 July ? 5 July 2008

>Send me an email if you are here. -:)

Natasha,

One of my favorite places in Vienna is the Natural History Museum. They
have a human-sized piece of lava from a 'smoker', carried up from the
deep sea floor. This type of environment is likely where life on Earth
began.

And around the corner, in the meteorite collection in the glass cases,
look for the chondrites. Then in those, do you see the embedded white
spherical-shaped pieces? Those are chondrules, age 4.6 billion years
old, formed at the beginning of the solar system. There is only one kind
of object from our solar system that is older,
'calcium-aluminum-inclusions' (CAI), also embedded, but microscopically
in chondrites. Older by a few hundred million years.

If you could possibly get tired of Vienna, and you have time, then
Bratislava, a short train ride away from Vienna, is another gorgeous
city to visit. :-)

Tschüss,
Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado