[ExI] what does "bear arms" mean now and then?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jul 12 20:58:02 UTC 2008

At 03:35 PM 7/12/2008 -0500, I wrote:
>Here's some interesting discussion, with useful links:
>
>http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=255

One of the comments notes:

<We're all terribly eager to convince everyone
else that the Constitution's meaning lines up
with our political agenda. I suspect that this is
rooted in the myth we pass along to our children
from elementary school onward ­ that the
Constitution is a perfect (and perfectly clear)
document that lays out our God-given rights.
Instead of a framework designed by some guys who
were ultimately only statesmen doing the best
that they could according to their ideals. >

I get this strong impression as well. One of the
benefits of being a visitor who shared only
somewhat overlapping ideological loading in
childhood is that such a visitor might sometimes
see elements of, uh, habituated superstition in
the reasoning of nationals. I admire what I know
of the Constitution, as a good try by a group of
smart, practical Enlightenment thinkers hundreds
of years ago--but I never ever have to fight off
early conditioning informing me that the document
is "sacred," a sort of Testament from God via His
representatives on earth. I had enough of that when I was a Catholic kid.

If the Founders (with or without cap) had
included, say, a "right" for male citizens to own
slaves or women--which was only the case by
practise and implication--we would not now, I
hope, be under the thrall of supposing that this
was anything other than a contingent,
contextually-framed statement of the way they did
things then. But *understanding* such framing is
probably fairly important in practical terms,
since the US state keeps referring to this
document as its legal basis (or so I gather).

Damien Broderick