[ExI] spaceship string theory

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 16 15:48:27 UTC 2008

At 08:27 AM 7/16/2008 -0700, Jef wrote:

>As for the question of the spaceships and the strings, what could
>possibly distinguish a system of spaceships connected by string from a
>system of spaceship components?  In other words, if the strings must
>break, then mustn't also the connections between components of the
>ship?

That was my intuition also. Clearly this explains the Fermi
Absence--when spacecraft travel close enough to c to make
interstellar travel feasible, they disintegrate. Bad luck. <optional smiley>

For an argument/explanation about this whole broken string fun&games, see

<http://grenouille-bouillie.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-to-teach-special-relativity.html>

Damien Broderick