[ExI] The Total State

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 06:04:29 UTC 2008

2008/6/2 Gary Miller <aiguy at comcast.net>:

> The obvious answer based upon media events and my talking to coworkers who
> come from Latin America and third world countries is:
>
> Unless you are rich, powerful, or know exactly who the perpetrator is it is
> difficult to get any kind of investigation much less justice in these
> countries.

Leaving the US out, corruption rates would seem to be positively
correlated with incarceration rates. In corrupt countries the rich and
well-connected bribe officials while in less corrupt countries the
rich and well-connected persuade public officials that their crimes
aren't that bad (i.e. they have better lawyers). In both cases, it's
mainly the relatively poor who end up in prison. I doubt that it's the
criminals who can manipulate the system at home who would be first in
line to emigrate.

--
Stathis Papaioannou