[ExI] "death gives meaning to life"

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 11:24:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 1:08 AM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I've been musing on this depraved doctrine.

Personally, I have a different angle on all that, namely that
*lifespan is totally irrelevant to whatever truth may be contained in
such doctrine*, unless of course it should be construed that suicide
at one's earliest opportunist would be a moral duty.

Accordingly, those who believe that death gives meaning to life should
at the very least be indifferent, rather than hostile as they are, to
life extension; and might even have other reasons to promote it
without being inconsistent with such view.

In fact, the truth is that they do not really cherish death - in fact,
most of them are adamantly opposed, say, to euthanasia - but rather
the surrendering to a supposed providential design that exactly
deprives life *and* death itself of whatever greatness it might have.

Stefano Vaj