[ExI] Audio transcript? MAX MORE in Second Life

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Jun 10 04:17:40 UTC 2008

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com :
>Hi Amara, it was really a great and unexpected pleasure seeing you in
>Second Life yesterday.

I put it on my calendar weeks ago and looked forward to the talk.

>Too bad you could not get the audio working.
>Perhaps the problem is whet you mention, or perhaps (more likely imo)
>it had to do with some parameter settings in the SL interface itself.

I went through the parameter settings (Preferences) at least 10 times
during the  first 1.5 hours; at one point "Calyps0 Janus" led me through
it step-by-step to make sure that I was setting things correctly. I was.
What I didn't do until near the end of the 1.5 hours, however,  was
clear the cache. By then, SL was crashing for me every other time that I
went in, so it might not have cleared the cache properly.

Also, during that time I visited the secondlife.com : Forums, Technical
Help for Macs, and I saw that SL has a preferred frequency setting for
audio. On the Mac, the Audio MIDI Setup in the Applications/Utilities
folder can set that value, so when I ran that program I saw that my
frequency settings were wrong for SL too.  As I said before, I gave a
seminar at SwRI last week on wavelets and I prepared a ton of sound
files to demonstrate some wavelet features, so I'm not surprised that
the settings were at something different than what SL likes. I thought
it weird that it didn't change my audio experience on Max's talk after
I reset those values, but maybe the cache wasn't cleared properly.

Anyway, the whole experience did give me more SL practice, and some
people have audio, so I can catch up on what I missed. And for other Mac
users, if I had audio working, I would have recorded it using the
program Audio Hijack Pro. I've recorded alot of audio streaming through
many sources on my Mac, and it works great.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado