[ExI] Defeatist Science Fiction Writers

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 16 01:00:07 UTC 2008

At 01:40 PM 6/15/2008 -0700, Lee wrote:

>Isn't there a discernable tendency in British and Australian SF writers
>against the "gung ho, can do"?  Of an almost relative passivity? I explicitly
>exempt Damien Broderick's novels. The ones that come to mind show
>the protagonists overcoming obstacles and triumphing most gratifyingly.
>If I am right about this issue, then of course that could be explained by
>his allegiance to general extropian or transhumanist philosophy.

In general terms, no doubt some sort of
conjunction is valid, but it's worth noting that
when my first fiction was being published Max More had just been born... :)

Other Aussie sf writers have an optimistic
stance. Sean McMullen, for example. Terry
Dowling, despite a certain fin de siècle
mournfulness. Russell Blackford. You might not
know all these writers, which is a shame.
(Curiously, it strikes me that they/we all have
PhDs, although none in the sciences. Striving is
a very Aussie characteristic, despite the laid-back beach culture.)

Damien Broderick