[ExI] "Heavy Industry--1995"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 16 11:40:44 UTC 2008

At 06:29 AM 6/16/2008 -0400, MB wrote:

>And I look at my ancient SF books and wonder what happened.
>
>James White:  Second Ending
>James Blish: The Seedling Stars
>
>We've lost our way?

Well, those books are set considerably in the future, no? And even
for "near futures" there can be setbacks of a few decades. Besides, I
think Analog editor John Campbell chose to label his cover art 1995
rather than 2061 (a century being one standard trope) because in 1961
that was safely inside the lifetime of most of his readers. Like the
singularity estimates today, usually 25-35 years from "now"...

Damien Broderick