[ExI] Defeatist Science Fiction Writers

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Mon Jun 16 23:50:57 UTC 2008

 Stefano Vaj said:

 >> Interestingly, however, the "meaning" of Dick's novels may be easily
reversed in their cinematic versions. For instance, Do Androids Dream of
Plastic Sheeps? is definitely anti-tech, but my grasp of Blade Runner is
that replicants are the tragic heroes most of people are going to identify
with...  >>

 I think the story's title was "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" which
wouldn't be nearly so funny if Spencer's Gifts didn't sell inflatable
anatomically correct plastic sheep as gag gifts for bachelor parties.

I didn't really sympathize with the replicants until the end when it appears
that their leader at least, described his angst in exquisite detail and it
was revealed that the girl our human hero had fallen in love with was next
years model.