[ExI] John Horgan and George Johnson on singularity

ben benboc at lineone.net
Thu Jun 19 12:53:50 UTC 2008

Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

 >Two notable science writers tell each other why it's all "just
 >science fiction":
 >
 ><http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/11935?in=00:06:25&out=00:15:11>
 >
 >(Why is this regarded as a *criticism,* I often wonder? It's like
 >saying, "Oh, television, microwaved meals, rockets to the Moon,
 >atomic energy and weapons, life on other worlds--that's all just
 >science fiction.")

Wait. You can't lump life on other worlds and the singularity in with
microwaved meals and atomic energy. Well, you can if you want to, but it
doesn't make much sense. Some of those things actually do exist, and
some of them haven't yet been demonstrated to exist.

I'm not saying I agree with the idea that this is valid criticism,
obviously it's not, but neither is it like saying "TV and life on other
worlds - that's just science fiction".

ben zaiboc