[ExI] Programme Riz Khan: Guantanamo: The detainees

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Thu Jun 19 15:29:19 UTC 2008

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net :
>Then why since we're only releasing the detainees like Al-Ajmi from
>Guantanamo who we feel are least likely to rejoin the terrorists did he blow
>himself on May 8th in a suicide bombing in Iraq.

(Did you view the program?)

Since he spent three years there, that was three years of heavy
interrogation (read: torture), released because he was found to be
'worthless' for information, given no compensation, no apology. Some
number of those ~500 released detainees could not go back to their
families and former lives because of the shame (and shock) of what
happened. Is anyone surprised that such an experience would transform
someone into a suicide bomber against the U.S.?

The relevant question to ask is if he engaged in terrorist activities
*before* he arrived at Guantanamo.

Amara
--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado