[ExI] Defeatist Science Fiction Writers

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Jun 20 05:31:48 UTC 2008

Gary wrote (Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 4:50 PM)

>  Stefano Vaj said:

>> Interestingly, however, the "meaning" of Dick's novels
>> may be easily reversed in their cinematic versions...
>> For instance, "Do Androids Dream of [Electric] Sheep?"
>> is definitely anti-tech, but my grasp of Blade Runner is
>> that replicants are the tragic heroes most of people are
>> going to identify with...

Well, not me :-)

> I didn't really sympathize with the replicants until the end
> when it appears that their leader at least, described his
> angst in exquisite detail and it was revealed that the girl
> our human hero had fallen in love with was next year's model.

As for me, I sympathized with the "good" or "okay" replicants,
and loathed the killers and murderers among them who were
completely amoral at best.  So I'm a little surprised at the
attitudes you guys have, or at least the way the above is
phrased.

Damien wrote

> In the book, it's clear that [Deckard, the detective protagonist]
> is  human; the director argues, however, that he, too, is a
> replicant with fake memories,

rubbish, I say.  Complete rubbish

> doomed to die soon, and has dropped clues to this through the
> subsequent "director's cuts."

I only saw one of those awful "director's cuts", where they utterly
mangled and destroyed the wonderful, unforgetable final sentence
in the original.  Well, that was the way it struck me, anyhow.

Lee