[ExI] Weiner: The Human Use of Human Beings

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Jun 20 12:15:49 UTC 2008

This is a marvelous book and I am enjoying many elements of it but can
anyone explain to me precisely what Weiner means by "human use of human
beings"?  Weiner states that its thesis is that society "can only be
understood through a study of the messages and the communication facilities
which belong to it . between man and machine and between machine and
machine." etc.  Just what is the "human use" of human beings?  (I am not
looking for an abstract or poetic description - I can do that.  I am
interested in a more practical interpretation.)  Can a scientist on the list
or someone who understands probability theory explain the books' title?

Many thanks,

Natasha