[ExI] Sarcasm

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jun 21 02:45:05 UTC 2008

At 12:35 PM 6/21/2008 +1000, Stathis wrote:

>2008/6/21 hkhenson <hkhenson at rogers.com>:
>
> > Someone might hunt up some more background on this.  I was a bit
> > surprised that the brain seems to have a specific region that deals
> > with sarcasm.  Personally I don't think I use sarcasm very often and
> > (especially in an all text channel) don't always pick up on it.
>
>Does evidence from deficits produced by brain lesions necessarily show
>that there is a specific region that deals with sarcasm and that it
>was selected for this purpose by evolution?

Interestingly, this reply would become sarcasm if rendered as:

So evidence from *deficits* produced by *brain lesions* necessarily shows
that there is a specific region that deals with sarcasm, and that it
was *selected* for this purpose by evolution, hmm? [emphasis optional]

Apologies to Stathis if the original form of the question was
*intended* sarcastically. :)

Damien Broderick