[ExI] Energy crisis solution

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Jun 22 13:59:13 UTC 2008

In the course of working on another problem, I examined the payback
time of solar power satellites lifted into space by rockets.  To my
surprise, the energy payback time was only 40 days; it is the cost of
aerospace hardware that makes energy from power satellites so
expensive, about ten dollars a gallon translated to gasoline.

Using a rather large laser (3.5 GW) to power the LEO to GEO transfer
improves the fraction of the launch rocket reaching GEO between 3 and
4 times, reducing cost for synthetic gasoline into the 3 dollar a
gallon range.  The same trick can be applied again with a much larger
propulsion laser this time driving still larger payloads from sub
orbital directly into a geosynchronous transfer orbit.  This reduces
the cost of payload to GEO into a range corresponding to dollar a
gallon gasoline.

I gave a talk on this concept at the International Space Development
Conference and a few days later to some Lockheed planners.  It need
to be verified by other engineers but looks like a way out of the
world wide energy crisis.  Done as a Manhattan type program it might
be constructing new capacity at 500 GW/year inside an 8 year period
at a cost in the same range as the Iraq War.

Keith