[ExI] Pride and/or thinking superior

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jun 27 14:00:08 UTC 2008

> Stathis Papaioannou
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Pride and/or thinking superior
>
> 2008/6/27 Anna Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca>:
>
> > How is this possible?  If at any moment you think you are
> better than anyone else it could mean you have a superiority
> complex.  Which is useless...
>
> Not to mention the logical impossibility of more than one
> person in the world being non-delusionally proud, if being
> proud means you're better than everyone else.
> --
> Stathis Papaioannou

Someone, somewhere at some time, *is* better than everyone else.  If we
allow a number of different criteria by which to judge ourselves, then there
can be simultaneously several persons better than everyone.  For instance,
there is a best living chess player, and a best living boxer, etc.  If we
allow arbitrary combinations of disparate criteria (think of that Olympic
sport that combines skiing and shooting), nearly everyone can come up with a
combination that would make them world champions.  In my case, I claim to be
the world champion at chess playing motorcycle racing aerospace hardware
designer featherweight boxer in the over 45 division.  If I can get that
made into an Olympic sport I will soooo go for the gold.