[ExI] Oil will never run out

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sat Jun 28 08:29:07 UTC 2008

At 12:59 PM 6/27/2008, Bryan Bishop wrote:
>On Friday 27 June 2008, Kevin Freels wrote:

snip

I wish that the knowledge of first semester thermodynamics and high
school chemistry were universal on this list.

It's not a big deal to make hydrocarbons out of biomass or even to
use CO2 pulled out of the air.  All it takes is industrial plant and
*lots* of energy.  On an industrial scale, you can make gasoline for
about a dollar a gallon from electric power at a penny a kWh, or ten
dollar a gallon gasoline out of 10 cents a kWh power.  Do a bit of
research on Wikipedia or Google.  Read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudouard_reaction

http://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/ellingham_diagrams/index.php

Click on The interactive Ellingham diagram, click on oxide, click on
carbon, click on "see"

I.e., if you have carbon and carbon dioxide you can make carbon
monoxide if the conditions are hot enough.  You can also directly
react C02 and hydrogen.

You need to know that the reaction of steam and carbon is endothermic
(absorbs energy) so this is a place where low cost electrical energy
could be fed into a synthetic fuels process.

     H2O + C -->> H2 + CO
     Delta H = 131 kJ/mol

You should read up on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer-Tropsch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

Which are about how to convert syngas to liquid fuels.  There are
other ways as well; some people are proposing to feed syngas to
bacteria that convert it to ethanol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasification

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_arc_gasification

http://www.plascoenergygroup.com/

A 400 ton/day plant is being scaled up from a 100 ton per day
demonstration plant.  Any readers in Canada, they are looking for a
bunch of people to staff the new operation Ottawa, Ontario.

There are a number of difficult problems with processing trash.  It's
really variable.  It has chlorinated stuff in it like PVC
plastics.  (That's where the salt comes from, I suspect they add
sodium carbonate to wash out the HCl.)

Now as an exercise, figure out how much synthetic gasoline per day
could be made using the syngas from this operation?

Keith