[ExI] Prufrock

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 20:05:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:
> At 02:18 AM 6/28/2008 -0700, Lee wrote:
>
>>"The women come and go,
>>speaking of fellatio."
>
> Actually no, that is The Love That Cannot Speak Its Name.

Strewth!  I think you need an explanatory chapter to your witty references.  :)

I eventually found the quote from Kenneth Tynan:
Fellatio: the sin that cannot speak its name, because its mouth is full.

There is also:
Necrophilia: The Love That Cannot Speak its Name. (Especially if
You're the Dead One).

I also found
The love that dare not speak its name is the final line from the poem
"Two Loves" by Lord Alfred Douglas, published in 1894. It was
mentioned at Oscar Wilde's gross indecency trial, and it is
classically interpreted as a euphemism for homosexuality.

But then I googled on "That dare not Speak Its Name" only,
and got 146,000 hits. The phrase is so good that it has been attached
to many, many things.

I especially liked:
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/shitterton-the-village-that-dare-not-speak-its-name-831420.html>
Shitterton: The village that dare not speak its name
This isn't the only place in Britain proudly to wear the Shit– prefix
– an unholy trinity is formed with Shittlehope and Shitlington Crags,
both in the North-east of England – but Shitterton is the only one of
the three actually to be named after excrement. According to the
mathematician Keith Briggs, who keeps an informative website on this
burning topic, the name is probably derived from a river called
Shiter, "a brook used as a privy".