[ExI] Oil will never run out

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 03:39:06 UTC 2008

On Sunday 29 June 2008, Kevin Freels wrote:
> The technology necessary for singularity isn't going to be made by
> some guy in a cave.

Excuse me, but where do you think we started if not in a cave? So how is
everything else after that not by the same tech, to some extent also
manufactured from within a cave anyway? Okay, so we moved ten meters
outside the mouth of the cave, so what? You can walk that in a couple
of seconds.

> It requires extremely high technology - far

What shock level are you?

> beyond what is capable of now.

I'd like to point out that exponential growth is already a reality, and
while there might be a great number of dependencies in the engineering
of programmable systems of that sort, it's not as far as you think.

> Technology requires industry.

Don't know what you mean by this. Arguably, biology is technology. And
biology came before human industry.

> Industry requires economies.

Certainly, look at ecosystems, but it's not the same thing as money.

> Economies require stability.

Stability is good stuff, yes.

> Without stable growing economies you get no advancing industry and no
> advancing technology.

In the sense of ecologies of support I'd have to agree, but still don't
see the monetary/financial basis, which is what I was commenting on in
the first place, nothing about stability in relationships between
agents and other actors in the systems, which again I agree with.

> A cell phone without civilization is just a paper weight.

That's not true ... just throw up some towers/antennaes, a few
electrical generators and also some distribution equipment. you can
make a rudimentary hydrodynamic power generator with wires (or less
optimally other shapes) of magnetic materials wrapped around other
conductive metals basically, etc. etc.

- Bryan