[ExI] Oil will never run out

Samantha  Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jun 30 07:29:06 UTC 2008

On Jun 29, 2008, at 12:41 PM, hkhenson wrote:

> At 10:23 PM 6/28/2008, spike wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> Thanks for pointing this out Keith.  The next few years will surely
>> give the
>> masses a hard education in physics and engineering.
>
> It is very likely the masses (and us too) will experience hard times
> over the next few decades.  It might get as bad as 100 million a
> year starving.  A few decades of that will reduce the size of the
> problem engineers need to solve.  :-(  On the other hand, it's
> partly the fault of the engineers and other science types that we
> have the huge and hard to sustain populations.

I presume you mean 100 million starving in 1st world nations as many,
many more than that starve today worldwide.   There are means to make
starvation less likely including vertical farming in urban areas, and
algae and fish farming.  Part of starvation is wasting a lot of grain
feeding cattle and adding a lot of cost to transport food large
distances.  By going to a less cattle intensive diet and finding means
to produce much of what is consumed locally the problem could be
decreased in dire consequences.

What we cannot and will not do is be sanguine about mass die-offs.
Of course we (as a species, nothing personal)  usually are as long as
the dying is somewhere else.    I have heard too many educated and
generally caring people banter the notion that the world would be
better off with around 90% less people.   They entertain this notion
without admitting the horrors of getting there and while they insist
they are not promoting mass death.

- samantha