[ExI] Background

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 22:53:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>
wrote:

> Given all the angst flying about, I wonder if Dr.
> Vaj might provide us with some background?
> Google's usual amusing translation provides a bio
> note to his BIOPOLITICA (Barbarossa Publishing Company, 2005 Milan):

What can I say? I am a practising Italian lawyer and a law professor at the
University of Padua in New Technologies Law, and in my spare time I have
been authoring or translating for years a number of essays and shorter
articles, published in volume or in very diverse publications and
newspapers, a few of them concern technology, philosophy and biopolitics and
promote, in broad terms, prometheism, the posthuman change, and
anti-prohibitionism with regard to biotech.

At a point in time this made me get in touch with the WTA, especially since
I became curious to explore not just the bio, "wet" transhumanist topics,
but also the hard, "cyber" ones; and eventually I contributed with a few
friends to the legalisation and rather dramatic growth of its Italian
chapter, the Associazione Italiana Transumanisti<http://www.transumanisti.it>,
which had already been informally in place for a couple of years (something
that was not really appreciated by a few Italian old-timers with very
idiosincratic and sectarian agendas; hence their reiterated, bitter
defamatory campaigns).

In the process, I worked together with other AIT members to the
establishment of a Universal Transhumanist Bibliography (available on the
AIT's Web site linked above), to the publication of a rather academic H+
paper in Italian called *Divenire*, the first issue of which should be in
print in a few weeks, and to the Manifesto that was initially mentioned by
Giulio Prisco and is currently being translated by Riccardo Campa, its main
author.

Through all that, I met Natasha, who was kind enough to encourage me to
subscribe to ExI chat list, as I not-so-recently-any-more did.

Stefano Vaj