[ExI] Devastated ideologies (was: italian politics as exi-chat subject)

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 23:35:51 UTC 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008, scerir wrote:
> Giorgio Israel (great supporter of Pope Ratzinger,
> and well known mathematician of Rome university
> 'La Sapienza') published a book ( you can see
> the cover here http://gisrael.blogspot.com/ )
> in which he explains how both wings (left and right)
> of our political scenario try to make up their
> devastated ideologies with neo-scientism and technophilia.

My first thought: this technophilia has exhibited itself here before and
on wta-talk in the sense of anti-"let's just do it" tendencies.
Somebody was laughing at me the other day for suggesting that we build
teh tech. Odd. Another thought that I would like to add, from my
general observations on the state of those ideologies and the "old
world". The status quo takes a lot of time to update. Lots and lots of
time. The opportunity to update a unit relaying the status quo is rare,
so old information is always being propagated throughout society while
the freshest and newest information has to find its own context to keep
alive (and that's fine). But on the other hand, we have significantly
large organizations ("Left" and "Right") and ideologies still
propagating and still abducting new minds even though there's no real
power that is necessarily making news releases to gain eyes and get
possible neophytes to convert (peculiar). Today I was sitting in a
psych class that was talking about 'developmental psychology', going
over the theories of Piaget and the like, staged versus continuous
development, emotional taxonomies and whatever else. The designs of the
studies were simply wrong -- *no*, you _don't_ do longitudinal studies
or cross-section studies, not at all -- that's studying a
mystical 'normal' brain and the normal status quo does not necessarily
represent something that is within the possibility space of the
construction or growth of the human brain, it's not psychology at all
(perhaps social studies, but only on a "pop" level, since real social
studying would involve more, you know, hard (read: real) studying).
And the theories of, say, Maslow, were developed so as to promote a
more 'humanist' idealization versus the other negative images of humans
at the time and while there's nothing necessarily wrong with his ideas,
they are not as intense as they could be. And what about marxism? Or
libertarianism? Republicanism? Capitalism? Objectivism (cringe)? These
are archaic, in more than a sense than "they are old" but that they do
not fall into any particular coherency when, on the contrary, it seems
that many historical figures were 'fighting' for coherency. So this
idea of coherency (sometimes poorly guided, but if one is careful it
can be a powerful tool, yes) and defending our own ideologies does not
necessarily help the general situation at all ... perhaps instead we
should be working on the art of self-creation, design of new ideas and
societies from the ground up, integrating and sharing novelty from
where ever it may come from. But it seems that one must have their own
internal journey of personal growth and development to come to this
conclusion, to some extent isolated from society. Maybe we can propose
some solutions to the Keepers of the Devastated Ideologies in an
attempt to minimize their damage while seemingly maximizing their
missions? Or alternatively start teaching parents how to help minimize
the damage of society on their children as they grow up and prepare for
the future ("the future is now / the singularity is now").

> The above may have something to do with those

Definitely.

- Bryan