[ExI] Heroism without self-sacrifice

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 06:16:53 UTC 2008

At 09:56 PM 3/6/2008 -0800, Lee wrote:

>(True, they're [heroes are] brave, they take risks, etc.)
>
>To me, (and I gather to Max), it's sad that self-sacrifice has become an
>often important component of heroism.

But isn't it exactly to the point that *they take risks on behalf of
others* which, by apparent rational calculation, they need not,
perhaps ought not, take. Reciprocal altruism theory can "explain this
away" but that leaves a rather sour taste in one's mouth--which, in
turn, can of course be explained by the same reductive principle, but
we don't *want* to be disabused, it's a very deep part of who we are
that we feel these sentiments and, when circumstances arise, find
ourselves driven by them.

Damien Broderick