[ExI] Electronic Circuit Question - Resolved

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Mar 7 15:13:17 UTC 2008

The question (See Below) is now entirely resolved. The answer
was much along the lines that Jef had suggested. The load
(showed as disconnected in a diagram) plays the decisive
role.

The ground holds one end of the 1K load resistor at 0V, and the
emitter resistor's low end is held at -10V, and that creates a
voltage divider.  So the emitter can never go more negative
than half way between (since each is a 1K resistor).  Thus the
emitter can go no lower than -5V, though when the base swings
above -5V, more current is drawn from that "-5V point" and
it rises too.

Thanks to Bryan, Jef, Stathis, and Ed McHale, and also to
some fine folks at sci.electronics.basic, who got it through
my thick head that the ground symbol always stands for 0V
in such a circuit, regardless of any higher or lower "rails".

Sorry for the off-topic post, and apologies for having not
quite correctly conveyed all the particulars.

Lee