[ExI] Heroism without self-sacrifice

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Mar 7 23:30:44 UTC 2008

> [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Max More
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Heroism without self-sacrifice
>
> At 12:51 AM 3/7/2008, Anne wrote:
>
> >If Max was really referring to a hero who literally risks *nothing*
> >important to him or her, but still manages heroism,
>
> I was/am leaving completely open the issue of how much value
> is at risk and its source... MM

When I read Max's challenge, I thought of those who invent things that
create enormous wealth, motivated entirely by profit.  In our world, most of
those people have been software developers, ja?  Think of the development of
spreadsheets and how much they have done for us.  Probably everyone here
uses them for something, and many of us have mastered the subtleties, macro
languages etc.  Excel is probably my most important single engineering tool,
enabling many other inventions.

Remember the old days, when Visicalc first showed up?  When was that, about
1979?  1980?  Wasn't that the coolest thing we had ever seen?  Then Lotus
and Microsloth carried the idea and ran with it.  One can scarcely imagine
how much wealth was created as a result of Visicalc and its direct
descendants.  Are not Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston perfect examples of
heroes motivated by profit?

Thanks Dan and Bob.  You deserve techno-sainthood.