[ExI] Ideological Differences in Transhumanist Italy

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Mar 8 15:55:08 UTC 2008

BillK wrote

> >  I can't be the only one who sees potential value in our Italian friends
> >  holding up a mirror for us in the west, but whose reflection perhaps
> >  has much potential for helping us even understand ourselves.

> I doubt if our USA friends would find much value in the intricate
> postmodern European political factions. Interesting? Possibly, like
> poking a stick into an anthill and watching all the frantic scurrying
> around.

Stefano writes

> In fact, my main concern as far as "positioning" is concerned is to
> keep myself as far from teocons as possible :-); but if, say,
> Nietzsche or Marinetti or Huxley or Heinlein should be considered as
> being right-wing, well, so be it, I have no intention whatsoever to
> renounce to what of interest I may find in their writings out of
> political correctness or fear of ideological terrorism.

That last is the important part, thanks.

> I think that it would be best to recognise that old labels may end up
> being of limited use in an era of revolutionary change, to go back to
> Korzybski's idea that the map is not the territory, and concentrate
> instead on ideas and new syntheses thereof.

All my life whenever people have said that, I had to conclude
that at least for here in America, they were simply refusing to
face reality. There really is a left/right spectrum, though many
people (myself included) find we have exceptional positions
on some issues.

But you could be entirely correct. Perhaps it stands to reason
that the 200 year old dichotomy is beginning to fail.

Lee