[ExI] Boing Boing: "Debate round brain enhancement"

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Mar 10 05:06:44 UTC 2008

If I had REMEMBERED that clocks needed to be set forward, then I would
not have been an hour late this morning, therefore, this discussion seems
particularly appropriate today:

"Debate round brain enhancement"
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/09/debate-around-brain.html

where David Pescovitz says:

"At O'Reilly's Emerging Technology Conference last week, I hosted a panel
on the future of "mind hacks," from cognitive fitness programs to smart
drugs to neuro-implants. One of the panelists was Timo Hannay,
publishing director of Nature.com, who talked about a recent heated
debate taking place on the journal's site around the ethics of using
brain drugs for wakefulness, focus, and other cognitive "enhancements."
Nature is continuing that discussion with a public "brain boosting
drugs" survey. Today's New York Times "Week In Review" takes a look at
the controversy."

Amara

P.S. yeah yeah preaching to the crowd. But it's nice to see a 'debate'
about it in the mainstream journals!
--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado