[ExI] first step as principal investigator

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 02:41:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

> The above probably illustrates why I would not recommend a woman to go
> into the sciences. Performing science is already hard; for a woman to
> balance both science and family is doubly so. I earned my PhD at age 40,

 [edit]

> And that, folks, are the selection criteria currently applied to pick
> the 'brightest' and 'most promising' young researchers: Those who will
> do well should be completely convinced of their own ingenuity, flourish
> without much motivation, and perform well under high competitive
> pressure. They should be able and willing to think in one to three year
> plans - for work and for life -, have connections up the latter and use
> them, act politically and socially smart, and should be willing to work
> under other people's supervision until their mid thirties.

Would you comment on why you changed from specifically "woman [...] in the
sciences" to non-gendered "young researchers" ?

It seems like the ideal candidate for the second lifestyle would be almost
inherently at odds with the picture you describe in the first regardless of
gender (or age for that matter)

I had a paragraph worth of thoughts, but ran into evolutionary psychology
dictating so much behavior that I was unable to continue.  Instead I have to
ask; for all our supposed advances, are we still so driven by our animal
natures that we simply can't break away from gender roles?  Does the human
herd actively keep itself at the lowest common denominator by either
bullying exceptions into conformity or isolating them until they no longer
have the power to effect change?

Please forgive it this sounds like an attack, it was not intended.  Amara,
your post struck a chord; a flood of ideas came to mind - few of which were
coherent enough to capture in words.  Maybe someone will respond to my
semi-rhetorical stream of thought?