[ExI] LA Times: 'Artscience' by David Edwards

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Mar 17 00:29:57 UTC 2008

At 01:39 PM 3/16/2008, PJ Manney wrote:
>Interesting foray into the growing awareness about the intersection of
>art and science.  However, the review seems to indicate he may not
>have taken his argument far enough.

This historical topic has been known to express the subjectivity of
perspectives (such as Edward's) rather than accuracy of practices
where the arts and sciences coalesce.  In my practice, and the
practices of my arts friends,  science is a crucial element, whether
the sciences are hard or soft, and regardless of fields within the
sciences and there simply is not gap.  Specializations are not the
enemy.   I think Leonardo magazine http://www.leonardo.info/ has put
arguments about Arts/Science being at odds to rest quite some time ago.

For example, I am on the advisory board of a group working with these:

http://www.ynba.org/2008/music.php

http://www.pietronigro.com/zgac/

(snips)

>In the arts, the most profound academic movement of the last 30 years
>has been the rise of theory, which is the creative equivalent of an
>autopsy, less about culture than about the dissection of culture --
>and as such, a kind of cultural death.

I can't make sense of this.  Sounds like postmodernist propaganda.

>Unfortunately, that's precisely where "Artscience" leaves us, with a
>theory that never quite comes to life.
>
>Edwards is a smart, dedicated thinker, and he's definitely tapped into
>something; art and science are coming closer, and technology has
>transformed not just our aesthetics but the very ways in which we
>create.

BS. They came closer eons ago.  In fact, in most educated discourse
it is a non-issue.  Regardless, I see that there are problems, but
the problems are disputed in rooms with closed windows.

Thanks PJ for posting this,
Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More,
BFA, MS, MPhil
University Lecturer
PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium - University of Plymouth - Faculty
of Technology
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics
Centre for Advanced Inquiry in the Interactive Arts

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller