[ExI] Armchair Evolutionary Psychology: Larks vs Night Owls

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Mar 17 21:35:20 UTC 2008

At 09:48 PM 3/16/2008, Lee wrote:
> >> Then the population biologist has to ask, "How can that be? Why didn't
> >> whichever one that had even the slightest selective advantage come to
> >> predominate?  Why, for example, didn't the early risers take charge
> >> and create the best opportunities for themselves and leave less for the
> >> late ones?"
> >
> > That's really hard to answer.

There are two choices.  Either there is little to no evolutionary
advantage to either one, or there is an advantage to being of the
less common type.  This is what keeps MHC genes in flux, there is
always an advantage to being the less common version because your MHC
genes (and blood type genes) contribute to parasite and disease resistance.

>Of course it is. Or the EP types would have it licked.

The same rules apply to all physical and psychological traits humans
have, modified by the fact that we may not be well adapted to the
current environment.

Keith