[ExI] Arthur C. Clarke dies

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Wed Mar 19 01:12:53 UTC 2008

Damien Broderick wrote:
> At 06:19 PM 3/18/2008 -0500, BB wrote:
>
>> I am trying to figure out why Clarke
>> didn't do cryonics.
>
> He told me it was in part because so many of his friends were dead,
> and he couldn't bear the idea of going on without them. He was
> tremendously upset when his dog died some years ago.

Give me a god-damned break.  I suppose *he* didn't have any friends
who might be sad when he was gone?  Like half the science-fiction
community?  You've got to draw a line in time, somewhere.  He didn't
want to visit the Moon someday?  And why didn't he have CI freeze his
dog, if he cared that much?