[ExI] No one dies re: Clarke, Arthur

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Mar 20 09:47:03 UTC 2008

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Kevin Freels <kevin at kevinfreels.com> wrote:
>
>> I am sure that in a far distant future, perhaps thousands or even
>>  hundreds of thousands of years after I am brought back from suspension,
>>  we will find a way to peer back in time and recapture his information
>>  state at the time of his death and "resurrect" him. I'll make it a
>>  personal goal of mine. He can then bring back any of those others he
>>  mentioned and even his dog. :-)
>>

> universalimmortalism.org
>
> Though I am not _sure_ of this, I really hope so.

And then what?  You have reached back from the far highly capable future
and plucked someone out of his time.   He is now in a world utterly
incomprehensible to most all of his assumptions and most of his
knowledge.  A world where all that he cared about is very ancient and
not very interesting history.   Are you sure any but the extremely rare
individual would thank you or be able to cope?  Even those individuals
would require a tremendous amount of new knowledge and tools really
quickly.  If you just implanted all that right now would the result more
than superficially be the original person?

- samantha