[ExI] are we not just one race, the human race?

artillo at comcast.net artillo at comcast.net
Thu Mar 20 12:45:16 UTC 2008

From: "John Grigg" <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>
> Mongoloid, Caucasoid, Negroid, and Australoid...  Do we still need these
> divisions?  Are we not ultimately just one race, the human race, Homo
> Sapiens Sapiens?
>
> Will it take humanity meeting & socializing with an intelligent alien race
> for us to fully realize we ourselves are but one race?
>

> John Grigg

That's how I always look at the world, unfortunately most people for some reason or other can't seem to get past cosmetic differences. "We all bleed red" is what I often say. People will always look for ways to differentiate themselves from others that are not "like us".

My mother used to make fun of me when I would fill out forms where you indicate "race", because I would often check "Other". She just didn't get my logic. Race isn't the same thing as ethnicity and somehow they are always confused with each other. I'm not Caucasian because I wasn't born in the Caucasus mountain region. I'm not from a Hispanic land, I'm not of Asian descent, I'm not black (does anyone know ANYONE who is actually the color "black" anyway?) I am, ethnically speaking, AMERICAN. I mean it's just an exercise in futility and divisiveness that doesn't need to be.

And then theres this thing that is the height of political correctness, when we say things like African-American, Asian-American etc. If on that form existed a checkbox that said "Native American" I would check it, because I was born in America, therefore logically making me a native of that land. But noooo instead they put on there "American Indian or Alaskan Native", which if I was of American Tribal descent, would offend me because Indians are from INDIA. But I digress.

I even had an arguement with a former co-worker one day because he was thoroughly convinced that "Jewish" was one of the races, and that it was even somehow encoded in the Jewish person's DNA! As laughable as that sounds, he was insistent that he was correct, even though I pointed out that there are Jews of virtually every skin color or national origin. Plus the fact that we don't consider "Christian" or "Muslim" to be yet another misguided racial tag, he just refused to admit his faulty logic. I am convinced there are a lot of people like this out there, which is a real shame, and hopefully someone (like perhaps Obama) will step up and enlighten these types of people and help us make real progress towards a truly unified Human Race.

I for one welcome with open arms any alien race that's crazy enough to contact us!

Otherwise, have a great day everyone!!!! Happy Spring Equinox!

-Artillo
(wow do I lurk a lot or what LOL)

RIP Arthur C. Clarke, you are stardust, you are eternal.