[ExI] Race Biology

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Fri Mar 21 05:39:54 UTC 2008

From: "Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: [ExI] Race Biology

> Damien writes

>> Sally Hemings' mother, Betty Hemings, was the daughter of the English
>> Captain Hemings and a black slave woman brought from Africa
>> (Wikipedia says), so her kids by Jefferson were three-quarters
>> "white." That surely made them white, eh? Oh yeah?
>
> No, in the U.S. they'd be called black, because that's their relative
> coloration compared to the rest of the people here.

My stepdaughter (who sports white skin and wavy blonde hair - as a baby she
was absolutely tow-headed) is 3/4 white and 1/4 black.  Were you to meet
her, there's no way you'd think she was anything but "white."

I'm confused about what you meant by "coloration."   Are you saying that a
person is considered "black" as long as there is some evidence (i.e.,
physical difference from "whites") of this from his/her appearance?

The reason my stepdaughter is considered "black" is due to the racist
"one-drop" rule - it has nothing to do with her appearance (or coloration).

Olga