[ExI] are we not just one race, the human race?

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Mar 21 17:27:31 UTC 2008

At 11:53 PM 3/20/2008, Anne wrote:

>Well, given some of the attitudes I've come across as of late, if
>humans did end up meeting intelligent aliens at any point, there
>would be groups of humans insisting that regardless of the fact that
>the aliens were perfectly happy the way they were, they ought to be
>coercively modified on the basis that they "don't know what they're
>missing" on account of not being human.  You know, because it's
>"compassionate" and all.  Blech.

Can you please provide examples of what attitudes you are referring
to which is fueling your gas?

I meet humans on a daily basis who want me to conform to their
wet-wiring; but it is more openly religious and/or political than
veiled by compassion.

>Seriously, I fear for any alien species that doesn't appear to act
>and think on average like your standard neurotypical human -- if I
>knew of any such species I would advise them to stay the heck away
>from Earth if they valued their freedom to self-determine at all.

In reality it seems that humans would be shocked and bewildered and
take a long pause about the consequences of coercing a likemindedness.

Natasha