[ExI] are we not just one race, the human race?

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 17:43:53 UTC 2008

Anne Corwin wrote:
Additionally, I am ALWAYS working to improve skills and learn new things, to
become adept with new tools, to work on picking up at least small bits of
other languages, etc.  If I wanted to limit myself, why would I be doing
that?  Please do not tell me I am limiting myself *merely* by saying I don't
think I need to be nonautistic in order to be happy and/or successful.  That
is seriously one of my major pet peeves and it's also a generally
destructive attitude I see coming from far too many people whom I'd think
should know better.

This autism discussion reminds me of the discourse regarding deafness, as
shown in the famous documentary, "Sound and Fury."

Anne Corwin wrote:
I don't consider autism to be a "flaw" any more than I consider, say, being
female to be a "flaw".  I most certainly do NOT "limit myself" or "determine
myself" in totality by it.

In fact, I find such a suggestion extremely smarmy and ignorant.  It is not
up to anyone else to decide on my behalf whether or not I am "limiting
myself".
You have to understand that when I use "labels" I am not using them in a
manner as a person might who *wanted* to "define herself" totally by them.
All they are is useful short-hand for constellations of tendencies and/or
traits.  I have plenty of actual flaws (as all humans do) -- I just don't
consider the low-level perceptual/cognitive attributes that have been
identified as "autistic" to indicate intrinsic broken-ness.  You have
revealed a bias that I think many people should actually be more aware of,
which is to say that you seem to assume right off that something is a "flaw"
just because social norms currently identify it as such.

I am learning disabled/dyslexic and definitely consider that a flaw.  My
sense of direction is bad (though it has improved quite a bit over the
years) and it generally takes me longer than most people to master new
tasks.  I actually learn better from a book (its patience does not run out)
than a human being who is teaching me "hands on."  I have some very bitter
memories of an ex-military stepdad whose explosive temper, vicious words and
lack of natural affection greatly magnified my challenges. lol  I think to a
limited extent he still lives in my head.

I used to tutor a severely autistic little boy (he had the attention span of
a ferret with ADD) and I do realize, depending on the intensity of the
autism, it may or may not be a problem for the person who has it.  I
sometimes wonder how the boy I worked with is doing now.  He
would be entering his teens at this point.

A huge part of the reason I am pro-Transhumanism is because of my learning
disabilities.  I yearn for a world where such conditions can be
treated/prevented and we can have a more level playing field.  When people
say it's God's will that I have this problem or the kid down the street
should be suffering from some incurable ailment I want to pick up something
very heavy and drop it on their toes...

John  : )