[ExI] are we not just one race, the human race?

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Sat Mar 22 21:01:15 UTC 2008

Lee wrote:

> About a century ago, half of what you and I want really was
> true!  Everyone who'd emigrated there had the half that said
> "I am an American".  Especially the Italians.  When the statue
> of liberty came into view, they'd start cheering, and practically
> would not stop cheering until they got through Ellis Island, at
> which point they'd proudly proclaim, "Now *I* am an
> AMERICAN!"

Ah - I recall back in the 1950s coming in from Europe - by boat - and seeing The
Lady standing in the harbor. It brought tears to my eyes, and to this day that
memory will do so. I was young, and America was perfect.

When we disembarked in Hoboken I was horrified. It was the dirtiest filthiest place
I'd about ever seen and the people I saw were loud and rough and rude.

...my first intimation that America was perhaps a bit different than I'd thought! ;)

Regards,
MB