[ExI] are we not just one race, the human race?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Mar 23 01:32:15 UTC 2008

At 08:20 PM 3/22/2008 -0400, MB wrote:

>Since America is such a terrible terrible place,

M, it seems to me that it's partly a matter of unusually high
expectations versus some of the grimier and more horrible aspects of
human, all too human experience. If the USA weren't seen in many
parts of the world as a beacon of hope and freedom and opportunity
and prosperity, the dire parts of its history wouldn't be so bitterly
disappointing.

>it puzzles me why so many people,
>of so many colors and countries and backgrounds, have wanted to come
>here and were
>delighted when they were finally able to. Over many years, people
>have tried to come
>here, died to come here.

It depends when and whom you have in mind. The USA wasn't an imperial
global power until after WWII, and the great "melting pot"
immigrations were half a century before that, I think.

It would interesting to learn how many black would-be immigrants
there were from Africa prior to, say, 40 years ago. I'm not sure many
would have been that eager in 1850 or 1950 to undertake the journey
to the land of freedom and opportunity. (Although clearly there were
plenty of Chinese and other Asians who made sacrifices to come here
even when they must have known they'd face  a degree of rejection and
even persecution from those already arrived--but then look at what
they were fleeing. And at least the US allowed them in, unlike
Australia with its repulsive White Australia Policy--law until,
incredibly, 1975).

Damien Broderick
[a non-USian in the USA]