[ExI] Cryonics a theory or belief?

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 12:26:43 UTC 2008

John wrote:"  The damage to frozen human tissue is so severe at the
temperatures
involved in cryonics, that reversing them and restoring a person to
life is
*currently* totally beyond conventional science.  It is the dream of
cryonicists to be able to bring a frozen person back to full health and
reap
the social and financial rewards, but that time is still a long way
off...
John Grigg
_____________

My reply: So it is still a dream/a belief not a theory or working
hypothesis for cryonics does not work by scientific method of
investigation.

____________
Johnny, here is your chance to introduce the more techno-savvy vision of
modern cryonicists.  The notion is not so much to figure out how to
restore
the damaged tissue, but rather to read the condition of the damaged
tissue,
then (by some currently mysterious means) calculate it's condition
before it
was frozen, then either duplicate that undamaged configuration in
another
lump of carbon or (more likely) simulate that brain configuration in
software on a very capable computer.  Then the individual lives again
(in a
sense) in a holodeck existence.  This brand of cryonics has the same
kinds
of fundamental issue that Religion Incorporated faces, the identity
question: is the resurrected you you?  If not, then who?
_______________

My reply: Its neither you nor not you for there's no permanent person
to be identified as change occurs moment to moment in the death of
cells from a biological process during the interchange of oxygen and
carbon dioxide. The intercellular system is not a person but a
biological process among a lot of complex organ system such as brain
and its supporting structures. What is a person? Its a conventional way
of identifying an individual by social standard/culture using
ideas/thoughts/memes.
______________

Spike: This being said, those of us who buy into these scenarios should
be
understanding of those who just say no.  They don't want that.  But we
may
be able to simulate them somehow, from collective memories and
recordings of
that person.

My conclusion: Therefore cryonics is a belief not unlike a religious
belief for immortality. Simulation of collective memories are happening
since the course of human history.

Terry