[ExI] Cryonics a theory or belief?

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 14:54:36 UTC 2008

Spike wrote:
Johnny, here is your chance to introduce the more techno-savvy vision of
modern cryonicists.  The notion is not so much to figure out how to restore
the damaged tissue, but rather to read the condition of the damaged tissue,
then (by some currently mysterious means) calculate it's condition before it
was frozen, then either duplicate that undamaged configuration in another
lump of carbon or (more likely) simulate that brain configuration in
software on a very capable computer.  Then the individual lives again (in a
sense) in a holodeck existence.  This brand of cryonics has the same kinds
of fundamental issue that Religion Incorporated faces, the identity
question: is the resurrected you you?  If not, then who?

Spike, I have never liked the "scan the frozen & possibly unrepairable
body and then build a copy of" cryonics scenario.  I don't see that as *me,*
but instead a perfect in every way twin.  The space/time continuity of *me*
has been broken.  In my Alcor paperwork I don't allow for that.  No way!!  :
)

I see your scenario as totally different from how the Christian religion
views things.  A Christian theologian believes we have an immortal soul that
is simply sheathed in an outer form of corruptible and mortal flesh and
blood.  When you die the immortal spirit is released from that sheath and at
the moment of resurrection a sheath/body of indestructible and perfected
matter is placed on the immortal spirit.

Spike wrote:
This being said, those of us who buy into these scenarios should be
understanding of those who just say no.  They don't want that.  But we may
be able to simulate them somehow, from collective memories and recordings of
that person.

Yes, we probably will be able to make simulations of frozen people long
before the actual individuals can be properly reanimated.  I just
hope destructive scanning methods are not used to make this happen.  I'm
looking forward to having "simulated Spike" and "the real Spike" running
around at future Transhumanist conferences! lol

John Grigg  : )