[ExI] "an aboriginal human from 70,000 B.C."

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Mar 23 22:14:11 UTC 2008

At 11:44 AM 3/23/2008, you wrote:
>Damien, your prime minister's words were very powerful and deeply
>touching.  I just hope he can make good on such sentiment.  I
>recommend Lee Corbin watch the superbly disturbing film,
>"Rabbit-Proof Fence."  Are there any movies/documentaries you would
>recommend to those of us trying to understand this problem?

For those less video oriented, there are a number of good articles to
get the other side of the story.  One I think is highly worth reading
is here:  http://cniss.wustl.edu/workshoppapers/gatpres1.pdf

Here is some from Araz Gat's article:

"Ausis our largest, continent-size, 'pure' laboratory of simple
hunter-gatherers, which before Western arrival was totally unaffected
by contact with farmers or herders. . . .  the Aborigines . . . were
in fact 'restricted nomads', or 'centrally based wanderers', confined
for life to their ancestral home territories.5

"The human - like animal - tendency for maximizing reproduction was
constantly checked by resource scarcity and competition, largely by
cospecifics. This competition was partly about nourishment, the basic
and most critical somatic activity of all living creatures, which
often causes dramatic fluctuations in their numbers. Resource
competition, and conflict, is not, however, a given quantity but a
highly modulated variable. They change over time and place in
relation to the varying nature of the resources available and of
human population patterns in diverse ecological habitats (Durham
1976; Dyson-Hudson and Smith 1978; Dawson 1996: 25). The basic
question, then, is what the factors that act as the main brakes on
human populations in any particular habitat are; what
the main scarcities, stresses, and hence objects of human
competition, are. Again, the answer to this question is not fixed but
varies considerably in relation to the conditions.

In arid and semi-arid environments, like those of Central Australia,
where human population density was also very low, water holes were
often the main cause of resource competition and conflict. They were
obviously critical in times of drought, when whole groups of
Aborigines are recorded to have perished. For this reason, however,
there was a tendency to control them even when stress was less
pressing. For example, as Meggitt recorded (1962: 42), between the
Walbiri and Waringari hunter-gatherers of the mid-Australian Desert,
whose population density was as low as one person per 35 square mile,
relatively large-scale fighting, to the order of 'pitched battles'
with a 'score or more dead', took place, among other reasons, in
order to 'occupy' and monopolize wells.

<snip>