[ExI] Fear of Death { feelling/thought}

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 22:37:53 UTC 2008

"> Thoughts and feelings similar to fear of death arise from
narcissistic
> desire for immortality that evolved in the genetic evolution of the
> human species.

Lee: "I don't know how old you are, but let X = Terry's age. Then
would you call your desire to continue to live well past the
age X  *narcissistic*?
___________

Desires to live well past whatever age is a genetic predisposition/
narcissistic/ego causing dissatisfaction/duality, mental
conflict/distress.

Lee: "Because I want to keep on living---forget immortality (let's
say that all matter is due to disintegrate in a few trillion years)
---why does that make me narcissistic?  Or does it?
_____________________

My reply: Want/desire cause suffering because of
misperceptions/assumptions of reality. Genes are the blue prints of
DNA. This is a fact not an assumption with existing evidence which can
be tested by the scientific method.

> What makes us humans who fear death?

Lee: <sigh> Those in the EEA who didn't fear death often did
not leave behind as many viable offspring. That's why.
Clear enough?
No, what is EEA?
_____

Lee: "Speaking very precisely, and not in the usual manner, it's
not death at all that I'm afraid of.  I merely regret not getting
to go on living.   Do you have a problem with that?"

My reply: There is cellular death and the deaths of thoughts as in
trauma, dementia  and there are those so called living dead who are
comatose, asleep or during general anesthesia. The problem is when you
failed to wake up during general anesthesia, stayed comatose till all
neurons and body system all declined or become irreversible.

> Humans share about 98% DNA with other primates according to the
recent
> study/findings of the scientific method of investigation. The other
2%
> {a well -developed cortex} makes all the difference between humans
and
> the apes. A well-developed brain in humans have the potentiality to
> reason, to use technological advancement and a language/scientific
> method to investigate beliefs of reality, thoughts and memes.

Lee: "Yes.  And reason tells me that if my life is worth living for a
certain
(future) interval Y - X, then I would rather be alive than dead
during that interval.  Is there a particular reason that you don't
want to be alive during the interval  2350 A.D. -  2650 A.D.?"

My reply: Who does'nt? Of course, I want to be alive with all my
faculties for thinking and feeling intact. Time does not exist
permanently. Feelings and thoughts change in time. We are
thoughts/feelings changing all the time. IF you cling to time past and
future, you suffer for fear of losing a memory, a thought as well as a
feeling of security.

Terry {sometimes secure and insecure} :-}