[ExI] Yes Sam Harris Can

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at insightbb.com
Wed Mar 26 16:34:43 UTC 2008

I can't say I'm for or against Obama at this point, but from what I can
tell, he's been involved with this church much longer than he has been
running for elected offices. If I am wrong here, feel free to correct me.

I can say from experience, it is much more complicated to break away
from a church than disassociating with the minister. There are often
very strong ties to the people who make up the congregation itself. To
sever the relationships with them all because of one person would not
seem reasonable unless one was running for a high profile political
office where this would be an issue. So the question then becomes
"Should one sever many relationships built up over years simply because
one is running for president". One could argue that separation from a
church does not separate you from the rest of the congregation, but this
argument would likely be made only by those who have not been a  part of
such a thing. The minister is not the church. The best example I could
give would be someone here running for president and deciding to
withdraw from here entirely because of some of Robert Bradbury's posts.
(Where has he been by the way?)Of course, it's not a great example, only
the closest I can come for some who have never been exposed to the
church environment.